Thursday, May 13, 2010

Keep Calm and Carry On


It was one of those days. You've had days like this. The weight of the world was resting squarely on my weak, brittle shoulders. My anxiety was focused on this one issue over which I had no control. The more I tried to push it to the back of my mind or shake it off, the more this worry forced it's way into my stomach, churning and wrenching as it went.

Ironically, I was in my happy place - Target, when it struck. Target is my Mecca. It's where I go when I need a little lift. I walk through those red sliding doors, smell that familiar retail store scent, see the "Expect More. Pay Less." catchphrase and I feel... home.

Normally when I go to Target I'm there to get just one or two items. Nothing too sexy, just toilet paper or toothpaste. But what ends up happening every time? I walk out $200 later with that cute top, seasonal decor or those adorable new place mats for the kids. Today, however, was different. Completely determined to go in and get ONLY what I needed, I walked with particular determination.

I went right to the stationary aisle and picked up some thank you cards. I chose the least expensive that were still tasteful but I made the mistake of allowing myself to look around. My eyes glanced longingly at the new summer shorts & T's for my girls, the new 4th of July decorations that would be so cute for our family reunion. I cried out (in my mind, not out loud), "Lord, help!"

This weighty issue I had been trying to avoid, reared it's ugly head. I could hear the enemy's accusations in my ear, "What if God doesn't come through?" "What if He lets you down this time?" As if satan had his own slogan, "Expect NO More. Pray Less."

I could have wallowed in those lies but instead I chose to take them directly to God. Right there in Target I brought my concern to the King of Kings. I confessed to the Lord that I believed He is faithful in all circumstances. I asked Him to help me at this weak moment of worry. You know what happened then?

I was walking through the home decor section when I looked up and there it was. A brightly painted canvas wall hanging that read, "Keep Calm and Carry On." There was even a crown painted at the top as if it came on God's letterhead. I felt my worry melt into peace. As God's Spirit ministered to me in that moment, I sensed God saying, "You made the right choice." Instead of succumbing to the enemies lies, I took my concerns directly to the throne. I chose to confess my shaky faith in a strong and capable God.

Next time the weight of the world is bearing down on your shoulders, even if it's in Target, take it to the Throne of Grace and drop it off. You'll stand a little taller and perhaps you'll hear God say to you, as He did to me, "Keep Calm and Carry On."

Now, where to hang that canvas painting....

1 comment: