Monday, September 27, 2010

Say Yes to the Dress

Do you know that tv show on TLC? My daughter, Mary Catherine, and I love to watch 'Say Yes to the Dress'. It's a show about an upscale bridal store in New York and their clients who are in search of the perfect wedding gown. It's so fun to see all the dresses! I think I could get married six times over just to get to wear a different dress each time! (To Chris, of course!)

Yes, it's fun to have an occassion to get all dolled up in your finest. We all want to look our best for the man of our dreams, don't we? The most romantic story to me is the one about the helpless maiden who is swept off her feet by Prince Charming. She has nothing to offer him but her whole heart and pure devotion. They become engaged and the wealthy groom wants to buy the bride the most beautiful gown ever designed, no expense spared.

Yes, there's no story quite like it. Did you know that's your story? Jesus loved you so much that he took you, helpless in your sin, and chose you to be His own. What could we, the impoverished bride, possibly offer our groom? Isaiah 64:6 says, "All our righteous acts are like filthy rags." This truth will either frustrate you or set you free.

The point is, even the most devoted servant is nothing without Christ! We, who are 'career christians', would do well to remember: Jesus paid it all and all to Him I owe. I can't serve His church, feed the poor, or give my tithe in an effort to redeem myself or make myself more attractive to God. I could never earn His love. I serve and give only in response to His love for me.

Get this - Isaiah 61:10, "I delight greatly in the Lord; my soul rejoices in my God. For He has clothed me with garments of salvation and arrayed me in a robe of righteousness." Are you listening? He clothed me. I didn't clothe myself.

Have you taken this all in? Does it stir your heart that He gave you beauty for ashes; strength for fear; gladness for mourning? (Is. 61:3) Do you see yourself as the chosen bride of Christ? Have you received this lavish love for yourself or are you still trying to earn it on your own? There is a groom, Jesus, who is preparing His bride, the Church, for the wedding of the century.

Will you 'Say Yes to the Dress'?

No comments:

Post a Comment