Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Rescued!

Not to make a bad joke, but you'd have to be living underground not to have heard about the Chilean miners who've been trapped 2300 feet below the earth's surface for more than two months. Their rescue is nothing short of a miracle. We've all watched the news with baited breath as each one is slowly brought up and we've all cried watching them reunite with their families. Have you not imagined yourself or your husband trapped, away from you for 70 days with little hope of ever seeing them again? What a celebration to see them alive!

The miners have experienced a physical entrapment yet we are hearing stories of God's Spirit keeping them spiritually free. While stuck in that pit, at least some of the men, experienced God in supernatural ways. The Spirit of the Lord encouraged them and lifted them to new heights. Our loving Father set their spiritual feet on solid ground.

This story is classic God. While I've never been in a physical pit, I have certainly been in a spiritual one. Before God rescued me, I was helpless in my sin. My old ways of thinking, my selfishness, pride and dysfunction had me buried. Try as I might, I could not get out of that pit on my own. I could get a new attitude. I could try to bring other people down in the pit with me. I could deny the existence of the pit, but at the end of the day - I was still stuck.

In Psalm 40, the writer shares a story we can all relate to: "I waited patiently for the Lord; he turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire; he set my feet on a rock and gave me a firm place to stand." Is anyone else out there shouting "HALLELUJAH"?! Girl, you can't get out of that pit by yourself. Your best friend can't get you out, money can't get you out, self-determination can't get you out! ONLY God!

What do you think these miners are saying when they set their feet above ground for the first time? What do you think is the state of their heart when they breath in that fresh air? Again, Psalm 40 says, "He put a new song in my mouth, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see and fear and put their trust in the Lord."

I'll bet those men are singing a new song all right. I know when God rescues me I can't help but sing praises to my God. This 'salvation' experience of the miners is causing many to see and fear the Lord. You cannot deny the power of God when you see someone who once was lost but now is found.

God has saved me from a pit more than once and I imagine He'll be saving me from a few more before my life on earth is done. Every time He saves me, I know Him better. I trust Him more and I sing a little louder. We praise Him as we watch Him pull these miners out of the pit and we must look to our own lives and recognize what God has done for us as well.

Today, my friends, look and see what our God has done. If you're in a pit, wait patiently for the Lord. Keep crying to Him. He will lift you up and put a new song in your mouth. He's the ultimate search and rescue!

1 comment: