Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Indian Giver

When I was in the third grade, a girl in my class gave me a special ring that belonged to her. She said I could have this treasure as a token of our friendship. I was overwhelmed with joy! The ring was beautiful. It had an adjustable gold band with a pink rhinestone. Although the ring was from the local dime store, it might just as well have come from Tiffany's for the value it held to me.

The next day, I wore the ring to school with my favorite outfit (which matched perfectly with my ring). After receiving many compliments, I was shocked, when my friend said she wanted it back. I told her there were no backsies. The conversation soon escalated into an all out war with classmates taking sides on the playground and, if I remember right, a teacher getting involved after some blows were thrown. (I'm pleading the Fifth)

It's no good when someone gives you something special and then asks for it back. It's not fair. It's not right. It's a breach of etiquette!

This week, I was wrestling with a problem. I was stressed, worried and consumed. Because I am such a mature Christian (wink, wink), I decided the wise thing to do was to give the problem to Jesus. He can handle anything. He tells us to lay our burdens at His feet. He wants us to trust Him. He's certainly proven Himself plenty of times. This should be no problem.

So, I tossed it on over to God. I decided He was Chief in Charge of everything and whatever He decided to do about this problem was okay by me. Yep, that's what I did all right. I just handed that worry right over to my wonderful heavenly Father. It was great. I was free from worry! I was walking in the light. Satan had no hold on me. "Trust in the Lord with all your heart" (Prov. 3:5) is my motto.

This lasted all of about a day, give or take. Then I turned into that awful Indian Giver. I took it back! I snatched my worry right back from God. Without saying a word, I took that burden and started worrying all over again. My faith flew right out the window. What happened???

Do you ever struggle with being an Indian Giver? Am I the only one? Why do I insist on holding to my problems like Linus holding onto his blanket? What does God think of this?

Hebrews 11:6 says, "Without faith it is impossible to please God because anyone who comes to Him must believe that He exists and that He rewards those who earnestly seek Him." God takes our faith very seriously. So should we. I realized that my fear to relenquish control gets stronger the farther I get from His Word. Instead of dwelling on the problem, I need to use that energy to dwell on His promises.

Next time you're tempted to be an Indian Giver, think on these:
"Do not be anxious about anything but in everything by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ." Phil. 4:6-7

"My God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ." Phil 4:19

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you." Deut. 31:6

God can be trusted. Let's give Him our worries, our stress, out fears, our cares...and remember, no backsies.

No comments:

Post a Comment