Thursday, September 15, 2011

Spiritual Foodie

I am, by definition, a foodie. I'm sure you've heard the term. Wikipedia defines a 'foodie' as "amateur cooks who simply love food for consumption, study, preparation, and news. Foodies want to learn everything about food, both the best and the ordinary, and about the science, industry, and personalities surrounding food."

That's me. I'm into food. When I was a starving single adult working at non-profits and making no money, the one thing I would splurge on was good food. Living in the D.C. area, I made frequent visits to Dean and Daluca (The Neiman-Marcus of grocery stores) buying cheese and bread with names I couldn't pronounce. I spent my weekends eating my way through Zagat's Restaurant Guide. If you know about Zagat's there's a good chance you're a foodie too. I have subscriptions to food magazines and subject my family, periodically, to new and weird recipes for dinner.

Yes, you could say that food is important to me. Perhaps that's why I love Isaiah 55:1-2 because it says, "Come, all you who are thirsty, come to the waters; and you who have no money, come, buy and eat! Come, buy wine and milk without money and without cost. Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare."

The richest of fare for free? Sign me up! God is calling all who are spiritually thirsty and hungry to come enjoy His presence. The word 'thirst' in this passage indicates intense desire, and addresses the sense of want which sinners often have. No need is so acute or demanding of our attention as the basic desire for food and drink. God uses this analogy to tell us He is offering to fulfill our most basic and intense needs - the need for Himself.

Now, there were times in my state of poverty when I could not afford to dine at the posh eateries my taste buds so longed for. Similarly, we can feel spiritually bankrupt and unworthy of the feast God is offering. We feel compelled to earn our invitation. But, God's call is for everyone. He does not say, "Come only if you are good, rich, or otherwise worthy." He invites the D-listers!

While I love the ambiance and gastronomic delights of fine dining, I do not always like the snobbery often linked with such establishments. Though God Himself is the ultimate Iron Chef, He is not distant or aloof. To the contrary, He says, "Come", four times! The God of all creation is inviting you and me to pull up a chair and tie on the feedbag.

What's the best meal you've ever had? Steak dinner? Lobster bisque? You ain't tasted nothin' til you've tasted what God has to offer. He's no McDonalds or Taco Bell, people. He's the five star, four dollar-signs, kind of joint. When He says, "come" we need to run, not walk, to our King.

Next time you're hungry for the 'richest of fare', forget your wallet and don't worry about making a reservation. Just rest in the Lord and feed your soul at the Divine Diner.

No comments:

Post a Comment