Saturday, March 31, 2012

He Goes Before You

There are those we are familiar with in history who have faced great obstacles.  They overcame fear.  They marched forward with courage and left a legacy of bravery and hope.  Moses crossing the Red Sea with the Egyptians on his tail.  Abraham Lincoln abolishing slavery and facing a nation at war with itself.  John Glenn flying into space attempting to be the first man to walk on the moon.  Moms with daughters trying out for cheerleader. 

Okay, if you've ever had a child tryout for something then you agree that last sentence deserves to be included.  I'm not sure facing cheer tryouts is any less stressful than leading a nation to freedom or flying into outer space.  I'll bet there are some of you moms out there that could argue the week of cheer clinics and tryouts has a lot of similarities to a civil war.

This morning I sit on my back patio, relaxed and enjoying praise music and hot coffee, while some of my dearest friends are popping TUMS and praying their guts out while their daughters are at tryouts.  Mary Cate and I were in that boat this time last year and I've got the scars to prove it. 

As the Lord would have it, my devotional this morning was on Mark 14:28, Jesus said, "But after I have been raised, I will go before you to Galilee."  Jesus was trying to prepare his disciples for his crucifixion and resurrection.  He knew they would be scattered, terrified and confused upon his arrest and death.  He was telling them not to let their eyes fool them.  While they would see him die, that wasn't the end.  They would also see him live again.

Even though Jesus faced terrible torture and death, he was still concerned about his boys.  To comfort and encourage them, he said, "I'll meet you on the other side.  You are going to face fear and uncertainty but I'm going ahead of you.  I'll be there."  Is Jesus cool or what?!

God never sends you into a situation alone.  Just like He went before the Israelites with a cloud by day and a pillar of fire by night, so He goes before you.  God is never caught off guard by a situation that you face.  He's already there preparing the way.  He knows exactly what you need. 

Psalm 139:7-10 speaks the truth, "Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence? If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths,a you are there. If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea, even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast."

Whatever you face today, know that Jesus is already there, in that moment.  He is present with you.  He is fully aware of what you are facing and what you need.  Whether you are facing angry Egyptians or a panel of cheer judges, rest assured God is with you.  He will never leave you.  (Just remember to point your toes and smile!)



1 comment:

  1. This post is exactly what God is teaching me right now as I step out in faith on a new adventure in my life. From your computer....right to my heart. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete