Sunday, January 23, 2011

My Afternoon in Heaven

Recently, I signed up through the school district to be a substitute in the front office at my children’s school. I went through the appropriate training then emailed the school secretary to let her know I was ready for action. When she called me to sub, I immediately said ‘yes’. I couldn’t wait to work up front helping visitors get signed in, delivering forgotten lunches and chatting with the office ladies (they’re awesome).

Imagine my surprise when I was told I wouldn’t be working in the front office, I’d be working in one of the special needs areas called “YCAP”. I don’t know what YCAP actually stands for but as it applied to me, it should have meant “You Can’t Assist worth Poop!” I wasn’t trained for helping children with special needs! How could I possibly walk in here and know what to do? What if this experience was too overwhelming for me? What could I possibly have to offer these kids?

I warily agreed to take the scary assignment. Praying as I made my way to the YCAP room, I nervously opened the door, anxious about what I would see. You’ll never guess what I beheld in that classroom. Much to my wondering eyes, there sat before me nine angels!

I had never seen angels before, though I’ve read about them. Angels are servants of God who deliver His message of hope. Sometimes angels appear as celestial beings. Sometimes they come as mighty warriors. Sometimes they’re disguised as strangers. We don’t know a lot about angels but you can be sure you never know when or where they’ll show up.

I never expected to see angels in an elementary school, but there they were. Six of them were disguised as ten-year-old boys with autism. The other three were dressed as teachers. They invited me to sit down for quiet time. Seeing the fear on my face, one of the boy angels quickly came over and sat on my lap with a hug as if to say, “Do not be afraid.” (Angels say that, you know.)

While none of the boy angels could speak, they could communicate unconditional acceptance without saying a word. The angels disguised as teachers, I soon discovered, were strong, compassionate and fun. Who knew angels had a sense of humor?

I spent the next four hours learning all kinds of things from these heavenly creatures. I learned children with autism love potato chips just like regular kids. I learned children with autism don’t really like doing sit-ups any more than regular kids. And I learned that even in a world where innocent children are helplessly stricken with challenges like autism, there is still room for hope and joy and laughter.

I learned that teachers who commit themselves to serving these special angels are themselves very angelic. They are brave as warriors going into battle. They are tender as mother lions with their cubs. And they’re as determined as a starving man in front of a free buffet. These teachers will fight for these kids, they’ll love these kids and they’ll do whatever it takes to develop the very best in these kids.

Next time you are asked to do something kind of scary, go for it. You never know what you’ll learn or who you’ll meet. I expected to go help some needy kids in a classroom but instead, I found myself surrounded by angels who, as it turned out, helped me. (Angels do that, you know.)

Oh, and I found out what YCAP really means: Yes, Children with Autism are Priceless!

2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! I love those kids too! I'm glad you were able to spend some time with them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YCAP is one of my favorite subbing assignments!

    ReplyDelete