Saturday, January 29, 2011

Fine China or Paper Plate?


I don't know if you are like us, but around our house we use paper plates for just about every meal. Dinner time I usually bring out the "everyday china" but it's very rare for me to go to the trouble of pulling out the "good stuff".

In 2009 I had the privilege of speaking at a Pine Cove Mother/Daughter Conference. The theme scripture for the weekend was 2 Timothy 2:20-21, "Now in a large house there are not only gold and silver vessels, but also vessels of wood and of earthenware, and some to honor and some to dishonor. Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from these things (sin), he will be a vessel for honor, sanctified, useful to the Master, prepared for every good work."

I love these verses because they compare us to items of gold and silver (like fine china); they tell us we were made for a special purpose; and in order to be used for that purpose we must be pure.

I have 'vessels' in my house of fine china, handed down to me from my grandmother. I have other 'vessels' in my house of generic brand paper plates. Can you imagine me serving my 10-year-old son and his friends snacks on my grandmother's fine china? No way! I keep the china in a safe place so it cannot get broken. That doesn't mean I can't use it often. It just means I use it for specific and special purposes.

Sometimes in life we make choices to do things or say things that are not part of God's special purpose for us. Kind of like using fine china to serve chile cheese dogs to a pack of boys. The words we say, the attitude in our heart, and our actions determine what type of vessel we are...fine china or a cheap paper plate.

God didn't create me in His image to be harsh or judgemental any more than a toilet brush was made to double as a toothbrush. Nevertheless, sometimes I find myself being 'used' for something I know God never intended. Do you know what I mean? Can you relate? How I long to get rid of the things in my life that would make it difficult for God to fulfill his special purpose for me.

What are some noble purposes God might have for you? Are you in a place where God can use you for His glory? If you've been living more like the paper plate, ask God to cleanse you and restore you to the fine china vessel He created you to be and get on with the noble plans He has in store.

No comments:

Post a Comment