Wednesday, July 6, 2011

The Highly Valuable but Extremely Underappreciated Mommy Play Date!

Before I became a mother, I knew little about children. Some might argue that after having three of my own, I still don’t know much about children! Nevertheless, 'pre-kiddos' I was footloose and fancy free. As a Development Director, I loved my job. I spent days on the phone with donors, lunching with friends, and joking around with co-workers. It's not that I didn't adore children, it's just that they never really entered my mind...until I had one...or two...or three.

Suddenly, my entire universe was altered! Like an astronaut landing on Mars, everything was strange and curiously exciting. Embarking on my new career, I embraced parenting as my new mission in life. I devoured books about babies and pondered articles on pre-schoolers. I was a mommy-machine!

Little did I realize, while I was busy getting kids on a schedule, covering electrical outlets and teaching my baby sign-language, I was draining myself of that ever-important daily intake of adult social interaction. That's right, my sudden fabulosity of "mommy-ness" was robbing me of my "me-ness".

A subtle depression began to set in. The endless days without showering and constant smell of spit-up were beginning to take their toll. What was wrong with me? I loved my kids. Mothering was to me, the highest calling in life. So what was the problem?

Finally, I realized I was suffering from baby-overdose, a common disease among young mothers. The cure? A healthy infusion of girl time was just what the doctor ordered. I sent up the bat signal and rallied the girlfriends for a night out. Come to find out, many of them were experiencing the same symptoms. We decided to meet regularly - sans kids - to laugh, compare stories and give ourselves time to remember who we were without diaper bags. It was awesome.

Those early years of parenting are stressful, crazy and fun. I can't imagine going through it without my friends. They were my support group during the terrible twos; my sanity when I was outnumbered by babies; and perhaps, most importantly, my self-assurance on those really hard days when I felt I’d failed.

Moms, don't underestimate the power of the Mommy Play Date. God’s Word says, “Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their investment. If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up!” (Ecclesiastes 4:9-10)

We aren't meant to travel this road alone. There's a mom out there who needs you as much as you need her. When you feel down and need some encouragement, send up a flare and schedule some time just for you. It will make you a better you as well as a better mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment