Monday, January 2, 2012

I Am Resolved

January 2, 2012. On your mark. Get set. GO! A new year is here and I guess it means we're all doing what we usually do - setting up a diet plan, rejoining the gym, and generally making other resolutions of self-improvement.

I like a new year because it fits my personality. You see, I'm a strong starter. You have a new project that needs leadership? I'm your girl. I'm the horse that bolts out of the gate at the race. The trouble is, I tend to lose steam after the second lap. Yes, I'm good at New Year's. It's year end I'm not so good at.

How did you close out 2011? How did you feel it went over all? I was so grateful for the wonderful memories my family got to make and the generous provision of the Lord. There were too many blessings to count. I have to admit, however, that I had a few regrets as well. Some projects I let fall to the wayside, ill-used words I let slip, bought a few too many pairs of shoes (is that possible?!). You've heard of the One-Year Bible? Well, I'm on the 9-year plan!

Whatever mistakes you made in 2011, remember that Jesus restores the fallen. Jesus doesn't ask us to make a resolution to try harder, instead He asks us to reaffirm our love for Him. Remember Peter? I can relate to Peter. He had a big mouth (but a big heart too). He denied Christ three times. He had to have felt he'd blown it as a disciple. Instead of guilting Peter, Jesus asked him to affirm his love.

Maybe you really blew it with God in 2011. Maybe you feel like it's too late or you've gone too far. Listen to what Jesus said to Peter in John 21:15, "So when they had eaten breakfast Jesus said to Peter, 'Simon, son of Jonah, do you love me more than these?" Do you hear Jesus? He's not about humiliation or guilt or condemnation. He's about RESTORATION!

Jesus asks you, "Do you love me?" If your answer (like Peter's) is "Yes, Lord" then you are restored. Jesus longs for relationship with us. He wants us to love him.

As we begin a new year, it's great to set goals. Just remember Jesus is not asking you for resolutions to try harder. Henry Blackaby says, "If your resolve to obey God last year did not help you to be faithful, it will not make you successful this year."

My number one goal for 2012? To love Jesus more. I am resolved to love Him more than my schedule, responsibilities, money, friends, children, or anything else. Will you join me?

No comments:

Post a Comment