Monday, January 9, 2012

Name Change

When I was in junior high my family spent a few days at a friend's house on Lake Conroe. The house was in a vacation community that included a fun swimming pool. Since my family didn't have our own pool, I was thrilled to get to spend all day swimming and jumping off the diving board. The downside to this otherwise perfect vacation was the fact that my older brother took to calling me "chicken legs" every time I got on that diving board.

You can imagine, at the tender age of 12, how fun it was being called names in front of all the folks at the pool. Needless to say, it didn't go over too well. From that point forward I was rather self-conscious about my skinny legs. That is, until I met my husband. Chris told me he thought my legs were beautiful. He said it was one of his favorite features! Wow! Suddenly I 'strutted' my stuff with a little more confidence. (Get it? 'Strutted', you know, like a chicken? Ha.)

It's amazing what a name change can do. In the book of Isaiah, the Lord God tells His people that He is going to change their name. The Israelites had been beat up by their enemies. They felt rejected, hopeless and downcast. They began to see themselves through the eyes of their enemies.

Hear what God said to them in Isaiah 62:2-4, "The nations will see your righteousness,and all kings your glory; you will be called by a new name that the mouth of the Lord will bestow. You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord’s hand, a royal diadem in the hand of your God. No longer will they call you Deserted, or name your land Desolate. But you will be called My Delight."

Wahoo! God is so good. What name has your enemy put on you? Do you see yourself as Rejected? Hopeless? Unforgiven? Afraid? Hear me, friend: THAT IS NOT YOUR NAME! God takes delight in you. “The Lord your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing.” Zephaniah 3:17

Your name is Accepted. Your name is Hopeful and Sure. Your name is Bold and Strong. Do you need a name change today? Don't let the enemy label you. His names are lies. God's name for you is true. Now get out there and strut that new name!

No comments:

Post a Comment