Tuesday, January 17, 2012


There is a dirty word in our house. It starts with 'M' and ends with 'h'. It's the word 'Math'. My stomach ties up in knots at the mere mention of this word. Sadly, with two parents who talk for a living (Chris in sales, me in Bible teaching) our three children never had a chance to get the math gene. I visualize my kid's teachers shaking their heads and mumbling to themselves as they grade our homework, "Those poor kids."

Living in Katy means we are surrounded by over-achieving parents raising over-achieving children. Do you live in a community like this? Failure to achieve academic excellence and supreme sporting abilities is not an option. We hire tutors, coaches and mentors to sharpen our kids and give them the competitive edge.

This is good, right? I wonder, if in all our training and perfecting of kids, we're not somehow missing the point.

Proverbs 4:7 hits me right in the gut, "Wisdom is supreme; therefore get wisdom. Though it cost all you have, get understanding." Did you see it? Read it again.

Some people think having your kid in the GT program is supreme. Some would argue select sports is supreme. Some think Chick-fil-a sandwiches are supreme. (Oops. Can you tell I'm hungry?) God says WISDOM is supreme. Where do you get a tutor for that?

Look in the mirror, parents. We are to be teaching our children how to gain wisdom. Wisdom comes from God. A life marked by peace, joy, and Jesus is evidence of wisdom.

Don't get me wrong, I want my kids to do their best academically, athletically, socially, (and all the other "ly's" out there). But more than anything, I want my children to grow in the wisdom and knowledge of God. I pray my focus would start here. To grow in God's purpose and become all that God created them to be, we, as parents must demonstrate a life of wisdom.

Fortunately, for us God loves to grant wisdom. James 1:5, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him." Do you need wisdom for living? Do you need wisdom for parenting your precious children? Ask God. Seek it with all that you have. Whatever it costs you, pursue wisdom and understanding.

What do you say, let's be known as the community that raises wise young people. Doesn't that sound good? Now, somebody bring me a Chick-fil-a sandwich...and a calculator.

No comments:

Post a Comment