Friday, April 23, 2010

I Declare!

Our family traveled to London last summer as part of a vacation/work trip. On the plane we were given forms to fill out in preparation for our entry to the United Kingdom. The form asked if I had anything to declare. I found this quite humorous in my weird way. I thought to myself, ‘Why yes, actually, I do have something to declare! I declare that European food is not as good as Texas food. I declare that you can get a lot more real estate for your money in Houston. Last but not least, I declare that airline seats are too small and too close together!’

These are great declarations, don’t you agree? Of course, this is not what the form meant so I just skipped that part and went on. However, it made me wonder… what am I declaring when I enter the presence of God? Just like London is a foreign city to me and Katy is my home city, God’s Presence is foreign to me compared to the world I live in every day. When you enter a foreign country you tread carefully at first because it is not home. It is good to show reverence for their culture, abide by their way of doing things, and be respectful of their customs.

When I desire to come into the presence of God do I just march in, plop on the couch and throw my feet up? Do I immediately rattle off my list of wants and needs? Do I declare to God what needs to be done and how best to do it? Of course, God is our Father and He wants us to come to Him with all of our hopes, dreams, and heartaches. He wants us to call Him, “Abba Father.” However, sometimes I am concerned that we have lost sight of the Holiness of God. I fear there have been times I have treated God with too much familiarity and not enough reverence.

Next time you want to enter the presence of God consider how Jesus said we are to approach the Father in Matthew 6:9, "This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name,’” Jesus says when we come to God we should first pause and consider to whom we are speaking. Put yourself on the back burner for just a minute! Recognize who you’re talking to. When you start to understand the greatness of God, you begin to understand your place a little better too.
Think about the environment in which God dwells. The scriptures tell us God sits on His holy throne and day and night the angels are bowing before Him, praising Him and saying, “Holy, Holy, Holy is the Lord God Almighty, who was and is and is to come.” Do you have something to declare as you enter this most holy of places? Yes! You should consider declaring God’s greatness.

Pastor Andy Stanley says praising God is not only appropriate but it gives us perspective. He is worthy, not me. He is great, not me. He is more powerful than my issues, my hang-ups, my problems, my abilities. This reminds us of the context in which we live. It takes discipline to pause and focus on someone else. We can rush right by it if we’re not careful. Try to remember we’ve been invited to come and worship Him.

Here is an example - anyone who knows me knows I am a huge fan of the band U2. I think that lead singer, Bono, is the greatest poet and song writer of our time. I have often dreamed of having the chance to meet him. Someday I hope to be invited to Bono’s home for tea so we can discuss his music. Imagine when that invitation comes and I make my way ‘across the pond’ to his home in Ireland. I walk up to his front door and he comes to greet me. Do you think when I meet Bono for the first time I will immediately ask him for his autograph? Would I, perhaps, ask him for some financial assistance? After all, he’s very wealthy. I have lots of friends who would love to get front row tickets to some of his concerts and all he has to do is make a call. My son, Jack, would really like an autographed guitar that’s been used by lead guitarist, The Edge. Would any of these be appropriate openings to our conversation? Of course not!

The first thing I would say to Bono would be something like, ‘Thank you for having me; it’s an honor to meet you; I’ve got all your music and I’ve read all your books; you’re terrific’! I would trip all over myself to declare to Bono just how great I think he is then if he chose to give me a parting gift upon my departure, I would be gracious and humbly receive it.

Do you see the comparison? How many times do we march into God’s throne room with our list of demands versus declaring how amazing and marvelous He is? Next time you sit down to approach God, consider how you enter and make an appropriate declaration to the Ruler of all kingdoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment