Friday, April 23, 2010

Keep It Simple Silly

When Bill Clinton was running for President, his campaign crew had a catch phrase they used when strategizing, “Keep It Simple, Stupid” or KISS for short. The phrase implied that their campaign should stay basic in message to reach the most number of people. You start complicating the vision or muddying your speeches with too many messages and you’re going to lose voters.

As I was reading over my preschool bible study lesson for next week it was the story of Jesus feeding the 5,000. It is written in the most simple message and it was like water to my dry bones. I was swept away by the simple thought that “Jesus can do anything” (the preschool theme for the month). How simply comforting, refreshing and empowering to know Jesus can do anything!

I see myself in that story. Jesus and the disciples are actually trying to get away in a boat and have some solitary time but people catch sight of them and chase after them like groupies around a rock star. It says in Mark 6:34, “When Jesus landed and saw a large crowd, he had compassion on them, because they were like sheep without a shepherd. So he began teaching…”

It was getting late in the day, the disciples mind was on food and what was this large crowd going to do when there were no concessions? They suggested dispersing the multitude but Jesus had another one of his crazy ideas. He suggested the disciples feed the 5,000 with five loaves and two fish. Jesus really had to be out of his mind with this one, right? He had the crowds divide up into smaller groups (hmmm… the first small groups?). Looking to heaven, Jesus gave thanks and broke the loaves. Verse 42 says, “they were all satisfied”.

I’ve heard this story my whole life. I’ve related to the disciples and the crowd but never have I related to the loaves and fish! That’s what I am in this story. I’m the measly loaf of bread offering myself to the multitudes of my community. Pour me out, Jesus. Break me. Use me to satisfy the appetites of people hungry for You. Draw the crowds to yourself like you did that day at the lake. Don’t send them away but have them sit in community and partake of your goodness and compassion.

The crowds couldn’t help but chase after Jesus. They saw what they had been searching for. They left their shopping, working, arguing, everything for the one thing they knew would satisfy. I think Jesus is thankful for our willingness to be broken for his sake, just like he gave thanks that day by the lake. That we get to be part of the nourishing process is unbelievable. Only Jesus could take a loaf and satisfy the masses. If he can use me, Jesus really can do anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment