Friday, April 23, 2010

Packing up Christmas

It's that time of year again. Time to pack up all those beautiful Christmas decorations. It's inevitable. It has to be done. Someone's got to do it and it's me. These are some of the thoughts that go through my head around January 1 each year. I am a Christmas freak. I decorate my house from head to toe. We celebrate with family traditions, parties, Christmas carols, and enough food to feed commuters on I-10!

But now it's over. Another wonderful Christmas has come and gone and I find myself with stacks of boxes waiting to be filled with my Christmas cheer and packed away for another year. It's a big job and I was feeling quite blue. I really dislike this time of year. The fun holidays are over. No more Bing Crosby and Nat King Cole on the radio, the Christmas movies aren't playing on TV, and the gatherings with friends have come to a screeching halt. Now is the time to stop spending money, stop eating sweets, get back to the gym and get better about that daily quiet time! I felt daunted by all the things I knew I needed to get back to and be better about. I was feeling sour about the month of January, I must say.

But as I wrapped the tissue paper over each festive decoration I was also thinking how grateful I was that my family got to be together for Christmas again this year. I was reflecting on Christmases gone by and how God has been so faithful to my family year after year after year. I felt my heart literally warming as I let my mind dwell on God's tangible love - the blessings of my children, the provision of my husband's job, the laughter of friends gathered around a meal together. I was so touched at God's mercy and thought about His presence with us day in and day out in 2008. My heart lightened as I was packing up Christmas.

When I got to my nativity, I thought about the very first Christmas. What was packed up after that first celebration? No, there were no ornaments or stockings to put away but Mary and Joseph had a lot to reflect on didn't they? Look at Luke 2 with me, "When the angels had left them and gone into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, 'Let's go to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has told us about.' So they hurried off and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby, who was lying in the manger. When they had seen him, they spread the word concerning what had been told them about this child, and all who heard it were amazed at what the shepherds said to them. But Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."

Mary had a lot to think about didn't she? What a whirlwind! We aren't sure how many shepherds saw the heavenly host and went to visit Jesus but we know that after they saw him they spread the word. Thank God they spread the word! When they got to Jesus they surely told Mary and Joseph about the angels. What was going through Mary's head? We can't be sure but we do know that she treasured much in her heart.

I encourage you (and me) this time of year, as you are packing up Christmas, to reflect on all God has shown you in 2008. What has He revealed to you? How has He ministered to you and through you? In what ways has He blessed your family? How do you love Him more this New Year? Take time to treasure all these things in your heart as you begin 2009 and look forward with great hope and expectation as to what God will do in the days ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment